The first game of the 2012-2013 season for Murray State basketball will be in Murray on November 9 against Brescia. Expectations are for the Racers to try to live up last season's performance. They lose 41% of last season's minutes and hope to offset that with the contributions of six incoming freshmen.
Murray State will see the largest deficiency on offense, where the team lost 43.5% of their scoring. After that, they'll hurt almost as much in steals, where they drop 43.4%.
The Racers landed a #12 ranking in last year's final regular season AP Top 25 poll. Murray State ended last season with a record of 28-1 overall, winning the Ohio Valley regular season with a conference record of 15-1. The Racers won the Ohio Valley tournament, beating Tennessee State 54-52 in the final game. They were seeded 6th in the NCAA Tournament and lost to Marquette in the third round, 62-53. Murray State lost last year's seniors Donte Poole (31 minutes per game), Jewuan Long (27 MPG), and Ivan Aska (27 MPG). The Racers must also do without Jaylen Bland (6 MPG) and Harley Nussman (2 MPG), who left the team.
Familiar faces for the Racers are senior Isaiah Canaan (19.0 points/game), senior Ed Daniel (1.5 blocked shots/game), senior LaTreze Mushatt (4.3 points/game), sophomore Zay Jackson (2.3 assists/game), and senior Brandon Garrett (2.2 points/game).
The Racers recruited freshmen including 6-1 C.J. Ford, 6-5 Tyler Rambo, 6-7 Erik McCree, 6-4 Jeffrey Moss, 6-7 Terron Gilmore, and 6-8 Zay Henderson. Also coming aboard is 6-2 junior Dexter Fields (transferred from UAB). Murray State will start Ohio Valley play on January 3rd at Tennessee-Martin.
Tags: Donte Poole
- Murray State has had 3 consecutive 20+ win seasons.
- Since 2002, Murray State has an overall winning percentage of 71.1%. The Racers have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 74.8%.
- The Racers have an average conference finish of 1.4 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 1.7.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 201.7.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Belmont (#65).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Tennessee-Martin (#326).
- The last time Murray State returned more than 60% of the team's statistical production was 2010-2011.
, Jewuan Long
, Ivan Aska
, Jaylen Bland
, Harley Nussman
, Isaiah Canaan
, Ed Daniel
, LaTreze Mushatt
, Zay Jackson
, Brandon Garrett
, C.J. Ford
, Tyler Rambo
, Erik McCree
, Jeffrey Moss
, Terron Gilmore
, Zay Henderson
, Dexter Fields